Monday, February 7, 2011

Project #16: Make a Monogram Wall Hanging

Perhaps you noticed back in this post another living room accessory lurking in the wings. Well, maybe not lurking. After all, it is dead center in my new series of pictures on my living room wall.


It's my new monogram wall hanging. Of course, monograms in home decorating is nothing new, and perhaps scattering words or letters in the midst of wall art isn't either. But this is a thrifty monogram. I picked up this letter for a mere dollar (thanks, Hobby Lobby!), and then I used my collection of acrylic craft paints to customize it. Of course, I wanted it to match/blend in with my wall o' frames, so I went black, but then I mixed up a custom gold color to add accents and then brush on an "antiquing" layer to give it a slightly aged look. This one's pretty simple, guys, so there's no step-by-step instructions, except for these: purchase, paint, hang. Done. But in case you're wanting to see close-ups of how I got there, here are some more pictures.




Love it! One night, WAY less than $20, easy-peasy, and so fun to customize. Of course, you can put your letters in any room and color them in any way. What a great gift idea, too! Where have you used monograms in home decor or gift giving?

No comments:

Post a Comment