Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cloth Diapering and Other (Budget-Friendly) Child-Rearing Practices

I thought I'd take a few moments over several days to jot down several lessons learned over the past few months about cloth diapering, since several friends have asked about what I've used. My intention here is not to come across as a know-it-all. Rather, I thought I'd tell you a bit about what we used, how we did it, and how much we liked it as a result. Then you can make your own decisions. I was very overwhelmed when trying to learn about different stuff, so I thought I'd give you some written words of experience and website links that you can either (1) read at your own pace, or (2) ignore in frustration!! :) There is a lot of information here, but I wish I had had this information to read through when I had our little one, so I hope you share that sentiment. Here it goes...
 

Cloth Diapering

What We Use
We used (gasp!) disposables for the first couple of weeks. Someone gave us a pack of newborn Huggies, and that was great to have while family was around and I was healing. Plus, from what I understand (my loving husband, mother, and mother-in-law did diapering while I recovered from surgery), the poop was very, umm..., gross in those first few days, so it was nice to chunk the diaper when it came out. Honestly, b/c of surgery and extra helpers, I didn't change a diaper for a long time. :) We later tried Pampers Swaddlers for a vacation we were going on. Initially they worked alright; we only had a couple of leaks. But the next vacation we went on, they were leaking up a storm, and my husband vowed never to use disposables again. Since he was the one who was on the fence about cloth in the beginning, that clenched the deal for us. We now travel with cloth diapers, too, and have been very happy with our decision.
  • We used a combination of BumGenius 3.0 (one size fits all) and prefolds.
  • BumGenius 3.0 ("pocket" diapers, because there's a pocket inside that you stuff with liners)
  • Each diaper comes with two liners--a thin, short "doubler" and a long, adjustable length liner. I used these for adjusting absorbancy and bulkiness, as you'll read below.
  • I have 20 of these. I got 10 of them from Target (at $35.99 for 2, with a 10% registry completion coupon they send you around your 8th month of pregnancy). I got 10 from a shop in Savannah that monthly or bimonthly puts out a 20% off coupon off your entire purchase. That made them about $14-15 each, I believe. If you want me to see about getting more from this store, let me know; I'll contact my sister-in-law to get more information. ****UPDATE**** With another baby on the way (yay!), I decided I could use another dozen diapers. BumGenius has since come out with the 4.0 one-size diapers, but I still prefer my 3.0s. I found that http://www.cottonbabies.com/ has great sales, including second runs of top-brand cloth diapers. I ordered a dozen second-run, brand-new BumGenius 3.0 OS diapers in white, and they were pristine. I can't tell the difference between them and my first-run diapers. After coupon (and free shipping!) these were about $11.36 each at the time I purchased them. I wish I'd known about CottonBabies sooner! We plan to have our first baby out of diapers during the day by the time the second little one arrives. We thought we'd need the extra BumGenius diapers for night times and traveling. 
  • I got all white. The colors were SO cute and tempting, but I plan to use these for multiple children, so white seemed to be the best way to go. Plus, I think that a little white sticking out of an outfit is a little less noticable than a red, blue, green, etc. diaper. The insides are white, so even if you get colors, you still get to see whether or not it's clean.
  • I've been very pleased with the quality of the BumGenius. Of course, they wash very easy. The only downside is that it takes a few minutes to stuff them back to "ready to use" status when you're doing the laundry. But then again, what doesn't? There are BumGenius diapers that do not have removable liners, but I actually prefer the ones I have for sizing purposes.
  • I had a big baby, so these fit pretty well. My niece was smaller, and her mom says that she didn't really start fitting into these well until she was about 10 lbs.These adjust in size, so that was very nice.  
  • When she was a newborn, she didn't need more than just the short "doubler" in the diaper during the day. She never wet enough to need more than that. During the night, we used the thicker liner only. That allowed her to go a couple of times without having a leak in bed before we could change the diaper again. I usually changed the diaper once in the middle of the night. We folded half of the diapers to be daytime diapers (thin) and half to be nighttime (thick) when we did laundry. Based on how we overlapped the velcro, we could identify which type it was, just by looking at the diapers. Because she was so small, she didn't need the extra bulk that we use now. Now, we use the liner AND the doubler all the time. In the morning, the diaper is drenched when she wakes up (but not leaking!), so I'm thinking about sewing some extra microfiber liners to add at night. I have also just folded a regular cloth diaper in thirds and stuffed that in before bedtime as an additional liner. Voila! No leaking! If you want extra liners, find a good deal on a pack of microfiber cloths at Walmart ($1 or so each) and fold or stitch them up. It's much cheaper than buying the BumGenius brand ones.
  • BumGenius is by far the easiest to change when you're half asleep at night, when you have to change in the back seat of a car or on a diaper changing station, or when you've got to be very fast. Not to mention, they work just like disposable diapers, so family members and nursery workers alike don't find them as intimidating. They are the easiest overall, and I'd have more, except they are just too expensive. So I used half and half.
  • (Because Daddy's opinion matters, too....) When my daughter was younger (months 0-4), my husband loved BumGenius best. He usually grabbed these and used them up quickly. He didn't like to have to do multiple assembly steps (as required by the prefolds) when she was wiggly.
  • We use(d) thicker diapers at night, on outings, and for traveling. BumGenius tend to be very leak resistant, and we trust them most for not messing her up. We also use them for family and nursery workers because they work most similarly to a disposable diaper. We simply keep a plastic bag in our diaper bag for workers to put dirty diapers in. (We were using those cute scented Arm & Hammer bags, but they were expensive over time, and I happen to have a ton of plastic grocery bags around the house that work just as well.) You can also get a small "wet bag" (water-proof bag) to put them in that can be washed out with your diapers and reused.
Prefolds
  • We have 18 of these. I started out with 12, and realized that I could probably stretch laundry a little further if I had 6 more, so I bought some more when my daugher was 6 months old.
  • Of all the cloth inserts, we liked prefolds best. We had some really thin birdseye cloths that you could see through, and those only worked for the first month or two while she was peeing small amounts. I put them away b/c they aren't absorbent at all. The ones we liked best were from Target. I've gotten the Gerber ones from Walmart as burpcloths, but they are not the same as the Gerber ones from Target. Target's is a tighter weave and holds much more liquid.
  • While the poop is runny (which is up until they start solids), it really can go anywhere. You'll find poop on their fronts, sides, and behinds, so you really need some sort of absorbency all around their bums. Initially we pinned (old fashioned diaper pins) the cloths and then put the covers over them. My husband was EXTREMELY reluctant to pin, so we got something called a Snappi (http://www.clothdiaperoutlet.com/snappi_diaper_fastener.html) that he liked using very much. We only bought one (they are expensive for a piece of rubber, in my opinion), bought it in size small, and just kept it with our pins. We never needed a second one b/c we kept up with it. Now that my daughter's poop is a little more solid and contained, we don't pin or Snappi. We just fold and cover. The poop stays in its place and doesn't leak.
  • Training pants covers (like we used to have when we were all little) are now hard to find in infant sizes. So you have to wrap the cloth diapers in some other way. I researched a lot of covers, and Thirsties got the best reviews, so I bought them. Again, they were on the high end of prices, but I got a bulk discount (at http://www.clothdiaperoutlet.com/) and that helped. I have 3 of each size: extra small, small, medium, and large. We have been very pleased with these. (At 15 months, we're still in the medium size.)
  • We use these most around the house. If any of her diapers are going to leak, though, it's the Thirsties. It doesn't happen often at all, but it can happen, especially when they are younger with runny poop. Now that she's older, we haven't had a leak in several months. We just keep them changed frequently (every couple of hours). There's a little more room for "error" when you put them on (like having a little cloth peeking out of a leg hole or the back), so they are more likely to leak. But, with practice, they are very reliable. Because they don't seem to hold as much, though, I never travel or go on an outing with them on her.
  • I like prefolds and never minded pinning. I stuck myself several times, but didn't mind. At least it wasn't the little one being stuck! Once everyone else used up the BumGeniuses, I was usually stuck with all the prefolds. I didn't mind because I was home all day any way and could take my time putting them on. Plus, they were much cheaper than the other ones, so it was fine to have them around.
  • My husband now says he likes prefolds best because he just lifts out the prefold, puts in another one with a liner on it (because for a while we used liners...more info in a minute), and wraps the baby back up. Kind of funny that he has changed his mind.

Other Types

There are lots of other types of diapers. Some have flushable inserts, adjustable sizing, pockets, no pockets, etc. I didn't want to have too many different kinds because I knew that would be trying on my husband (since he's not around during the day to practice like me!). I also wanted things that were highly recommended, so I bought those with the highest satisfaction ratings from other moms. They were more expensive, but I figure they'll last, and I'm not having to change soiled clothes all the time. Some people use a lot more kinds, but that's just up to you and what you want to do. I'm not against them (though I do find it a little counter-productive to flush a liner and buy a new one); these are just what we decided to use.

Liners

 You can get diaper liners (not to be confused with the insert liners that go in the pockets of the BumGenius!). It's like a piece of flushable dryer sheet that you put in between the diaper and the baby to catch the poop (usually for use with solid, not runny, poop). The pee drains through and the poop stays. Then you can easily lift it out and take it to the toilet. We used these for a while at a friend's suggestion, and it does make it easier for disposing of poop. They have warnings on the package that you should be careful if you have a septic tank; they might stop it up. As a result, they recommend that you always let the liner soak in the toilet about 20 minutes before flushing to spur on the biodegrading process. After several weeks, we ended up discontinuing our use of these; they stopped up our toilets and we decided it wasn't worth it for us. We'd just shake out the poop like we used to.

Cloth Wipes

I'm cheap. There I said it. Therefore I use cloth wipes. I was appalled at how fast I was going through disposable wipes. I tried several brands and liked the Huggies natural brand best. They are cheapest in bulk at Sam's (and even cheaper than some store brands!). But after buying a bulk box and seeing how we tore through them, I decided to do some research on cloth wipes. I'm a convert, but I still have some disposables around for traveling, diaper bags, etc. And even after using them occasionally, I still have an unopened bulk box from Sam's in the closet that I bought 3 --nope, 7--months ago. In other words, "cloth wipering" is going well.

  • I bought eight 4-packs of thin baby washcloths from the dollar store. I fold them like facial tissues and keep them in an old Huggies box (Huggies wipe boxes have a flexible rubber wipe pull-out area, which makes it easy to reach for the cloth wipes). I pour 1.25 cups of warm water, mixed with 1 TBSP baby wash over them. I used to add a half TBSP baby oil, too, but now we're using those wipes on clothes as well to remove baby food and I don't want to oil-stain her clothes. So now I leave out the baby oil.
  • The cloths make great wipes for bums, faces, high chairs, etc.
  • After using the wipes, I just throw them in my wet bag with the dirty diapers.  
Laundering

  • When a diaper is soiled, we put it in a wet bag, a bag that is waterproof and contains internal leakages. We leave it in our laundry room. I have two large wet bags that I alternate between while I'm doing laundry. Lots of people said you had to have a pail with a chemical solution in it, etc. When we were babies, moms were doing that, but lots of people don't go to the trouble anymore--including me. I actually bought a diaper pail at a consignment sale thinking I would put my wet bag in it to conceal odors. I didn't like the pail. It was too small (only held 6 BumGenius diapers) and cumbersome, and didn't hold a full load of laundry.
  • If a diaper has been stained (with wet poop), we usually spray it down really well before putting it in the wet bag. We liked BioKleen's Bac Out and Holy Cow Cleaner and Degreaser best (we found some amazing online deals on these). My husband swears Bac Out removed odors better. We did not spray peed-on diapers. Now that the poop is more solid and capable of being dumped in the toilet, we do not spray those diapers either. Just if there are stains. Other cleaners (Spray N Wash, etc.) take out the stains, but leave behind some harsh chemicals that I don't trust on baby skin. I used SNW once b/c I didn't have anything else, and smelled the chemicals for two more washes afterwards. I like my non-toxic, biodegradable, "green-freak" stuff much better.
  • You should make sure all velcro tabs are fastened securely to the washing tabs inside the diapers. If you don't, they'll stick to everything in the wash and really tear up your diapers.
  • I use Charlie's Soap (http://www.charliesoap.com/). We love it. We do all of our laundry in it. (It is cheaper than Dreft, or Baby All, or similar brands.) You should read about it on the website first, but if you want to buy it, there are better deals to be had out there than buying directly from the company. I first found it 25% off at a Whole Foods-type store in Augusta. I later ordered a gigantic tub of it online and got a great deal with lots of discounts. Plus, it arrived on my door without me having to go out, baby in-tow, to get it! (Bonus!)
  • Initially, I didn't frequently use bleach b/c it can be harsh on baby skin. I would bleach once every 4 loads or so. Now that our baby is a little older, I usually put a small amount of bleach in every (or every-other) diaper load.
  • When it's time to do diapers, I just turn the wet bag inside out and dump everything in (wet bag and all). I don't touch dirty diapers again.
  • I started doing diaper laundry every 2-3 days. Now I do it every 4-6 days.
  • I run a prewash with a half-scoop of soap, then a hot wash (heavily soiled setting) with a full scoop of soap, and then an extra rinse. I can set all this on my washer so that I don't have to keep going back in there. I know someone who didn't do the prewash and postrinse routine with her diapers and they got permanently stained, so I do recommend this.
  • I ALWAYS dry on very low heat. The plastic coverings in BumGenius and Thirsties can become less leak proof with heated drying, so this is very important. It's best if you hang Thirsties to dry. I used to, but now, just toss them in on low with everything else for the sake of convenience.
  • I fold my clean diapers right away (if at all possible). It's just easier to reach for a stack of ready-to-go diapers than to have to fold while the baby is laying there waiting for me to do folding.

 Traveling 
  • We can usually make it 4 days without washing, so we usually wash right before we leave and take clean diapers with us in one wet bag, and carry the other wet bag for dirty diapers. (Our bags are different colors, so this makes it easy to tell which is which...as if the smell alone isn't enough to clue us in!)
  • We occasionally do diaper laundering at a family member's home if they aren't grossed out by the idea. I've done them at a laundromat before too, without incident.
  • We always travel (ride) in BumGenius diapers, loaded at thickest capacity.
  • We usually use disposable wipes when traveling.

Helpful Websites

  • You probably already have used http://www.babycenter.com/, and they really are great. The discussion boards are very helpful, including the one(s) on cloth diapering--if you can figure out all the acronyms. Just find the post that has a list of acronym definitions.
  • http://www.clothdiaperoutlet.com/ has great supplies, but also a lot of practical information about cloth diapering. Check out their blog. The owners are super nice, as I talked with them about my order.
  • http://www.charliesoap.com/ and the BumGenius website talk about how to wash cloth diapers.
What other tips can you share about cloth diapering? How have you cut down on baby costs? I'm anxious to hear your tips!

Jennifer

2 comments:

  1. Informative post. You answered most everything. Being a frugal mom myself, I do have two questions:

    1. What is the difference between the versions of these Bum diapers?

    2. How many children do you realistically expect (or hope) to use these with, without doing any replacements? Don't they become worn out eventually?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Renada! To answer your questions:

    1. The folks over at BumGenius have released different versions of their diapers, similarly to software releases. Each one supposedly improves on the last version. When they released the 4.0s recently, for instance, they claimed to have "new, generous sizing for larger babies." 4.0s also have easily replaceable elastic and the option of snap closures instead of Velcro. After 15 months of treating my BumGenius diapers according to manufacturer's instructions, I haven't had a problem with elastic. I tried the snap closures on a friend's baby, and I didn't find them as quick, easy, and personalizable (if that makes sense) as the Velcro closure. My 3.0s were doing fine, so I just reordered some more for our second baby (to help us make it through two babies in diapers at night and on trips).

    2. I'm actually expecting my second baby girl right now. I am working on potty traiing my first, and hope to have daytime wetting finished by the time the new one arrives. That will only leave nights and trips for both of them to be in diapers at the same time. At this point, I see no evidence of deterioration of my first set of BGs. But b/c we'll have a few more heavy-duty needs, I did order an extra dozen (seconds from CottonBabies.com). This is MORE than enough diapers. BGs are holding up well, as are Thirsties and the cloth inserts. At this point, thanks to careful laundering and care, I'm not seeing any need to replace! Mine are just as white as the day they arrived, and we still aren't having any leaks! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete